Tuesday, April 25, 2006

...or am I just a Neohypocrite?

Scoffing at Neoclassicism can be...ironically enough...neoclassical. Well, I'm sure the Romantics scoffed at it too, but the point still stands that I run the risk of being as infatuated with arbitrary artistic rules as the Neoclassicists if I establish rigid guidelines to prevent neoclassical aesthetics.

I also run the risk of being hypocritical, having produced a 22-minute film that shows 22 minutes in the life of three characters; having named this film company not only a Greek word, but the Greek word for "truth." "Truth" be told, I have my own neoclassical ways.

My contention with Neoclassicism lies not in its peculiar preferences, but in it's pointless rules. It is little wonder that such an artistic movement devalued creativity. Creativity is a product of liberty. Neoclassicism, like legalism, must devalue what it cannot offer and disparage what it cannot attain.

Christians often confuse what is merely cultural (or sub-cultural) with what is truly Christian; their personal preferences with God's precepts. The danger is making our personal tastes into theological treatises. We must take advantage of this new frontier of filmmaking, which gives us the opportunity not to repeat the Church's oft-repeated mistake: forfeiting the freedom that Christ provides in order to be enslaved by the rules that men create.

No comments: