Saturday, May 20, 2006

Here Comes the Prom King

Well, first things first. Being from Kentucky, I'm probably not the first Ramsey to attend prom with his spouse, but at least I'm actually out of High School. Being a teacher, I attended our prom as a chaperone. Until I get the picture on my blog, you will have to look at it by clicking here. This is very different from my actual high school prom pictures, in that I have a lot less hair and feel a lot more relaxed around my date. If you want a commentary on the prom itself, well, here it is: My daughter's not going to her's. That's all there is to it.

Two nights before, I went to the High School Academic Banquet. My brother, John was the speaker. Having graduated from the University of Texas' Law School, and having recently been awared the title of "Austin's Funniest Man," those in charge must have thought he would serve as a model, to which students can aspire. Unfortunately, he may have also served as a stark contrast to me. I fear I will burn under the gaze of Sauron's red eye.
___________________________________________________
The Brothers Ramsey: Seth, Wil, John and myself. John charmed the students, faculty, and administrators as the speaker at the High School Academic Banquet; deftly reminding them which Ramsey was not a model student, did not meet two U.S. Presidents, and did not graduate from the prestigous UT Law School.
___________________________________________________

The day after prom, Kristina, Bug, and I went to my mother-in-law's house. There was a storm that took out the power in a very isolated area. It went out around 2:00pm and did not come on until after we left around midnight. Here are some pictures that capture the harrowing ordeal:
___________________________________________________
The great black-out of aught six. Up to two whole suburban blocks were deprived of elictricity, forcing dozens to go without modern necessities like cable, internet, and xbox 360. We were forced to sustain our meager existence by eating smores.
___________________________________________________
In an attempt to mask my distress and appear strong for the sake of my daughter, we danced to The Beatles. Having no stereo, we were forced to listen to the famous band from my brother-in-law's suped up sound system installed in his truck. Bug's age and love for "Hey Jude" hindered her ability to discern the difference. Due to repeated listening, "Hey Jude" is her favorite song. As the scripture teaches, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6. We all had to cling to our faith in such dark times. No pun intended.
___________________________________________________

1 comment:

___ said...

you forgot to mention that John sold his soul to beelzebub. In that photo, it looks as though he is laughing at his "funniest man in Austin Joke," in which the punch line humiliated his three brothers. Everybody loves him...that pisses me off. (J/K)