Saturday, June 3, 2006

Rebuttal to Wil

Wil has issued a response on his xanga to my initial post about him and his favorite band.
_____________________________________________________
I'll go ahead and get this out of the way. I must concede that The Beatles would indeed perish in a face-melting contest with Led Zeppelin. To deny this would be intellectually dishonest and would severely damage my credibility. You're point is taken. However, I think there is more at stake here than simply melting faces, and there are some points I would like to address.

I must admit, having not seen's Zeppelin's film, I cannot, at this time, compare it to "A Hard Day's Night." I wanted to watch The Song Remains the Same, but I thought it would be the acme of rudeness to break the security seal WHEN I BOUGHT IT FOR YOU ON DVD! Your ingratitude is deeply wounding, but I suppose this all my own fault. The apprentice has turned on his master. I'm afraid discipline must be swift and harsh.

In response to your comparing The Beatles to NSYNC: I don't remember NSYNC ever playing their own instruments, writing their own songs, and producing six albums in their first three years -teeny-bopper though they may have been. So, I very much doubt they would have, like The Beatles, gone on to produce 7 albums anywhere near the caliber of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album (actually two records), or Abbey Road in the next three years. However, the Ivan Drago/Led Zeppelin defeating Apollo Creed/The Beatles analogy was slightly better, namely because Ivan Drago got all of his initial glory cheating a black man.
_____________________________________________________
Rocky IV's Ivan Drago, who much like Led Zeppelin, acheived fame and notoriety by cheating a black man (Robert Johnson/Apollo Creed). Moreover, both Drago and Zeppelin were initially panned by critics.
_____________________________________________________

As for Led Zeppelin's alleged far-reaching musical influence, I must say Zeppelin just happens to be the band that current bands claim to imitate, and less discerning minds take them at the word. They are able to get away with this because Led Zeppelin, with a few exceptions, has one sound largely based on the instruments that they or any rock band plays -lead guitar, bass, and drums. Which particular Beatles era or style do you expect these modern day incompetants to consistently imitate while putting out a record every four to six years?
_____________________________________________________
Led Zeppelin: Wil Ramsey's favorite band; Richard Ramsey's 3rd favorite.
_____________________________________________________

Regarding your ad hominem attacks on the orthodoxy or sincerity of my Christian beliefs, I very much believe in the devil, but am somewhat skeptical of the claim that he bought Jimmy Page's or Robert Johnson's soul. However, if you believe this and STILL think Led Zeppelin is the best band of all time, I'm sure you and The Prince of Darkness will have an eternity to "get the Led out." Shoot. You'll most-likely get a live concert.

Love,
Richie

P.S. I hope they'll spare you from having to listen to any of THEIR solo albums.

1 comment:

357martini said...

There's no comparing the two films ones a piece of crap and the other is a classic of epic proportions. Page and Plant don't compare to McCartney and Lennon........puhleeeeeeeese........never......ever