Sunday, September 10, 2006

Tedious

Well, besides classes and "Midsummer" rehearsal, I spent the last two weeks trying to figure out the best way to deinterlace the titles for The Oath of Desormeau, yet interlace the film. If I interlaced the whole thing, the titles looked good, but the movie looked like BBC Narnia. If I deinterlaced the whole thing, the movie looked more like film, but the titles were all pixelated. I have been using compressor and setting it to deinterlace, and I realized that this, in addition to not anti-aliasing, was a huge contributor to having pixelated titles.

So, today I went into Final Cut Pro 5 and dragged the deinterlacing filter onto half of the clips in the film. I then realized that this was making everything blurry and out of focus. Upon further inspection, I realized that I had deinterlaced the odd fields, when I needed to deinterlace the even ones. So, then I reset the deinterlace filter to "even" and dragged it on to every clip in the second half of the film; then went back and changed all the odds to evens.

The film is now exporting to an MPEG-2 in Apple Compressor so that I can put it on DVD...again. It's due to be finished in 5 hours. When it is done, I will burn it on a DVD and see how it looks. If it doesn't work, I have to try something else. This is why it's taken two weeks.

No comments: