Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Rich Mullins Oct. 21, 1955- Sept. 19, 1997

I was just reminded that Rich Mullins was killed 10 years ago today. I was raised in a Christian home, and Rich Mullins' music was a large part of that. It was nearly nine years ago that I decided to put away childish things and take the Christian faith seriously. There is no doubt in my mind that his death was a huge part of that. He was the real deal. I knew if he could die, I could die. I had a pretty good idea how he would be remembered, and I knew exactly where he went.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
-1 Corinthians 13:11

Sometimes I think of Abraham,
How one star he saw had been lit for me.
He was a stranger in this land,
and I am that no less than he.
And on this road to righteousness,
sometimes the climb can be so steep.
I may falter in my steps,
But never beyond your reach.

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You.
I will seek You in the morning,
And I will learn to walk in Your ways,
And step by step You'll lead me,
And I will follow You all of my days.
-Rich Mullins
"Sometimes by Step"

No comments: