Thursday, October 11, 2007

Opening Night Film

Well, John and I attended a screening of Chicago 10. The film turned out to be a pseudo-documentary canonizing Abbey Hoffman and the "Yippies." The film featured combinations of rotoscoped cartoon reactments of their "Incitement to Riot" Trial and stock footage of their famous protest at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago. While watching, I just couldn't help but suspect that I was being deliberately deprived of...objectivity.

I found out I was right when "Yippie" co-founder (and Chicago 10 co-writer!) Paul Krassner did a Q&A after the film. He admitted to testifying in the trial while on acid to "enhance the experience." In fact, the initial idea for the protest was concieved on an acid trip. However, he said the financiers did not want to add that into the film.

Well...yeah. Depiction of recreational psychedelic drug use in a courtroom is typically not an element of hagiography.

No comments: