Tuesday, April 22, 2008

How This Came About

I first met Shane Sooter and Kevin Bryan of City on a Hill Productions at the 2004 San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival. They were screening their films, "Choosing Life" and "After Hours." I thought their work really stood out, not only in their production quality, but in their willingness to engage in deep issues. So, I was delighted when they asked me to have dinner with them the next day.

I remember being particularly struck by Shane saying that part of City on a Hill's mission was to challenge cultural perceptions of Christianity. That is exactly what I wanted to do with my own work, and I believe that is the first thing that has to be accomplished when Christian filmmakers try to reach a "Post-Christian
Culture." I had just never heard it put so succinctly. Between that and our shared backgrounds in Theatre, it became apparent that we were like-minded in many ways.

In early 2006, I had the privilege of visiting with Shane, Kevin, and Cassie Pelan on the Galveston, TX set of H2O. After observing their process and viewing clips of finished segments, I was blown away by what they had accomplished since we had last met. It was very clear that the series would have a powerful impact on viewers, and that God was blessing their endeavors.

That visit in Galveston was the first time Kevin mentioned the possibility of my coming to work at City on a Hill. That summer, Shane mentioned it as well. However, due to responsibilities owed to my own company and our film, "The Oath of Desormeau," I was not able to seriously consider the possibility of moving to Louisville.

Last November, Shane called me and asked about my interest in writing the script for an upcoming City on a Hill project. When I heard what the project was (sorry, can't tell yet), I was very interested and excited. During the process of discussing that, he once again extended the invitation to come join his staff. Recent developments in my life had made me more open to the idea than I had been before, and I believed that I was in a position to seriously consider it.

After a visit to Louisville in December followed by months of prayer, counsel, and numerous discussions with Shane, Kristina and I decided to accept. We're very excited to be joining the ministry of City on a Hill. We believe in it's mission to use the medium of film to edify the Church and evangelize the lost, while pursuing artistic and technical excellence. We are eager to experience what God has in store for us in "my other home state," and wherever City on a Hill projects place us.

2 comments:

William Ramsey said...

the deal was sealed with sadies performance in the christmas video. they saw talent in the whole family.

Shepherd said...

Keep writing that script! No time for blogging.

;)

I am trying to tackle my first script, and it isn't easy, Shane has given me a deadline for it. There you go, you aren't the only one.

Challenging cultural perceptions... I couldn't agree more.