Friday, April 4, 2008

Thanks, Wil

I'll read it.
"Perhaps my method of writing may seem not only different, but even contrary, to that which is commonly used by the men called divines, with which I am not concerned: in as much as I confess myself to be not only no imitator and admirer of the school-men, but an opposer and despiser of them as such, by whose labour I judge the Christian religion to be so far from being bettered, that it is rather destroyed. Neither have I fought to accommodate this my work to itching ears, who desire rather to comprehend in their heads the sublime notions of truth, than to embrace it in their hearts: for what I have written comes more from my heart than from my head . . . for I act not here the Grammarian or the Orator, but the Christian."
-Robert Barclay
Forward to An Apology for the True Christian Divinity
1678

No comments: