Friday, April 16, 2010

not a fan scene (featuring Kristina)


Here's a scene from Episode 5 of City on a Hill Productions' upcoming series, not a fan. In this scene, Eric and his sister, Kim (Ryan King and my lovely wife, Kristina), are pushed to the brink by their pharisaical father, Bill.

Years ago, some friends of our family experienced a horrible tragedy that resulted in the death of a child. At the time, these friends were involved in a legalistic religious sect. Fellow members of this sect asked our friends to search their hearts and actions to see if the tragedy was the result of sin in their lives.

Sadly, I hear stories where Christians - I suppose looking for easy answers - ascribe nearly all personal misfortunes and/or global calamities to divine retribution. It makes me angry so I decided to write a scene inspired by such stories.

Also on my mind while writing this scene was John 9, in which Jesus encounters and heals the man born blind:
As [Jesus] went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
- John 9:1-5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight- your upset that some other Christians ascibe bad life events to sin yet readily accept an innocent child being born blind for 'the work of God might be displayed'?

So in your view all the suffering and innocent children in the world are just for others benefit? What a immoral and self serving worldview.

I suspect rationality and morality are both fleeting within you.

Richard Ramsey said...

"So in your view all the suffering and innocent children in the world are just for others benefit? What a immoral and self serving worldview."

This is not what I said.

I referred to a specific case in John 9. In that particular instance, not only do others benefit from the healing of the man, but the man himself benefits. In addition to the healing (which you failed to mention) the man and others believe and subsequently inherit eternal life.

Granted, you don't believe that. But, if you're going to argue with the story, argue with the story in its entirety.

That being said, I don't know why ALL people are born with disabilities. Therefore, I think it best not to assume that disabilities and misfortunes are because of personal sin. That is the point I was making.

"I suspect rationality and morality are both fleeting within you."

If atheism is true, there is no such thing as vice and virtue, and morality is nothing more than personal (and often fashionable) preferences. Therefore, I could really care less what you suspect about me, or if I fail to live up to your arbitrary and meaningless moral standards.

I don't know why you atheists bother. If you really believe you get one life, you might want to make better use of your time.