Wednesday, April 18, 2012

gods @ war


Here is a trailer for an upcoming City on a Hill project that I am very excited about called, "gods at war." I had very little to do with this particular production, so I was able to have a completely fresh viewing a couple of weeks ago...and, I was blown away. It's very powerful. Obviously, I'm partial to scripted narrative, but there is nothing like people telling their own actual (and extremely compelling) stories.

The thesis of the series is that any time we break commandments two through ten, we're also inescapably violating commandment one: "You shall have no other gods before Me." At the risk of sounding like a cliched commercial spokesman, I was skeptical about the premise (one I'd heard several times before). I suspected that elasticity was being added to the word "idolatry" in order to maintain its relevance in an age when Christianity is battling secular humanism rather than overt paganism for hearts and minds.

This series repeatedly inspired me to take a look at my own life and see that so many times I've looked to so many things to do for me what only God can. That's idolatry.

 So...I stand corrected. And convicted.

No comments: