Friday, September 14, 2012

Re: An Atheist's World View

Here is a picture of a paper tiger.  "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
"I believe [as an atheist] that mankind should never stop pursuing all avenues of exploration and discovery. No ideology or political movement should hinder or discourage asking questions about the world around us. And when new discoveries are made, we should accept them, even if we don't like them. It's not anyone's fault but your own if scientific conclusions are at odds with your unexamined faith. 
The most troubling reality about these beliefs [in the value of inquiry, etc] is how many are in the Bible. None of them are." - Edward Falzon
Uh huh.
"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings." - Proverbs 25:2
"Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you." - Matthew 7:7

I'm sorry.  You were saying?

Anyway...the above screed preceeding the Scriptures is from a HuffPo op-ed by one Edward Falzon that's floating around Facebook. You can read the article here, and you can read below to see my satirical take on the subtext…


"I believe it is in no way misleading or irresponsible, in the post-9/11 era, to throw around fear-inducing terminology that equivocates Christianity with Islam. I believe Christianity’s goal to "eradicate" other faiths via persuasion is somehow morally equivalent to Islam’s willingness to "eradicate" other faiths via violence. I mean, Christianity and Islam are both religions, right? How different can they possibly be? All religions are pretty much the same and are pretty much bad, which is why we are absolutely justified in our efforts to eradicate them.

I believe I can make smug and unspecified accusations claiming that the Bible contains obvious errors that have gone unnoticed and unanswered by informed and educated Christians for hundreds or even thousand of years, and that I can do it without taking into account literary and/or social-historical context or genre. Why am I afforded this privilege? Because I’m an atheist. That automatically makes me a qualified expert on whatever I see fit to yap my jaws about.

I believe that people, especially children, should be encouraged to question everything – except the indisputable (though admittedly unobserved) fact that the varied and numerous elements required for even the most basic life form just HAPPEN to exist.  And, not only just HAPPEN to exist, but just HAPPENED to come together. And, not only just HAPPENED to come together, but just HAPPENED to come together in a way that enabled replication. And, not just replication, but replication with change. And, not only with change, but the kind of change that would lead to EVERY SINGLE  biological feature we see (and some we don’t see because they were selected against).

And, of course, I believe none of that could have happened until the Big Bang singularity exploded into…of all things, lucky us…a vast universe with atoms and all the elements and physical laws that could enable sustainable planet, star, and galaxy formation.

Not only do I believe this myself, I believe it so strongly that I’m willing to stake my entire world-view…nay, my immortal soul (if there were such a thing)…on it, without seeing any irony whatsoever in dispensing tiresome, condescending lectures to anyone stupid enough to question it or downright evil and abusive enough to teach their children to do the same.

I believe there was no objective meaning or purpose to our universe's beginning, that there will be no objective meaning or purpose to its inevitable end, yet I somehow manage to believe that it's meaningful who you vote for, what you think is true, what you teach your children, or what romantic unions you're willing to label as marriages. I believe children should be taught the above narrative, and ONLY the above narrative, about cosmological origins because, as I said, I'm against indoctrination.

And, I believe the emperor's clothes are absolutely marvelous!"

No comments: